Welcome to chewing on pearls

Even though it might not seem like it on first sight: this site is active! We are a small multi universe community where every member can role play their character(s) in complete freedom. You can play any character on any board/world. There are no fixed site plots, only those created by members on the various boards. You are free to come and go as you please (although we prefer you let us know so people won't wait for replies). Feel free to register with a main account and chat with us or contact members for plots or to work out any idea(s) you might have. Questions? Feel free to PM one of our admins who will try and help you the best we can.

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

aching chest and blurry sight, lucia!
Evan V. Donoghue
 Posted: 23 Jul 15, 15:57

"Hell at his back, home just over the horizon. His hands are weak, his body empty, but his horse knows the way."

farmer, former outlaw
male
widower (ex: Flight & Morrow)
26 posts

no mercy under a godless sky
A black haze shut out the sun, and the darkness was alive with the moans and screams of wounded people. Suddenly, a small light glowed. A candle flickered into life, a symbol of hope for millions. A single tiny candle, shining in the ugly dark. Someone laughed and blew it out.

His body is bathed in a cold sweat, the sheets are twisted around his limbs. His heart is pounding against his chest. Evan trembled. The room was entirely dark. No light anywhere. The remnants of his nightmare still clung to his mind, haunting him.

Sweat is dripping down his back. He curses under his breath and throws his cushion to the far end of the room, grinding his teeth as the last dwindling memories fade from his eyes. He throws his legs out of bed and bows forward, leaning with his elbows on his knees, his head weighing heavy in his hands. He growls and shuts his eyes, trying to make the terror go away, and return to reality at last. In a rage of anger he picks up a book and throws it across the room, a thundering sound echoes through the little farmhouse. He mutters something under his breath before he straightens his back, and pushes his hair behind his ears. He walks towards the window and starts pacing up and down, until his patience just snaps and he kicks the chair out of pure agony. He throws his head back into his shoulders and inhales deeply, tears just lightly shimmering in the corners of his eyes.

A sigh escapes his breath, and he rubs his forehead. He’s tired, and lonesome. The sweat has gone cold on his skin, and he throws on some clothes to keep him warm. Out of guilt he picks up the chair from the ground and settles into it, staring out of the window into the dark night.

OOC: Okay, I have written to much I think, I can’t muster up anything anymore. She can come in and see if he’s alright, or you can write something else, and then he sees her at breakfast, after he went out for a morning-ride first, then during breakfast he’ll opt the idea of catching some wild horses.

PMEmail
^
Lucia G. Dereith
 Posted: 23 Jul 15, 21:31

"ROUGH DIAMONDS MAY SOMETIMES BE MISTAKEN FOR WORTHLESS PEBBLES."

outlaw
female
evan
18 posts

THE LAWS OF MAN DON'T APPLY

The sound of contented purring hummed in Lucia's ears, her eyes half open to the darkness of her room. The kittens had been keeping her company for a while now, coming in and out of the room and taking their naps on the bed; she was appreciative for their companionship while she felt like she was in prison inside. Being stuck up in the room was best for her health, for truly she felt much better as the days passed by slowly. After around a week's time, she had gotten to where getting up and walking around the room didn't feel so unbearable anymore, and she could move around without the throbbing pain as a constant annoyance. Still, it kept her up at night, being shut off from the world. She had always been a restless girl much to her own disadvantage. If she hadn't gotten wounded and grounded, so to speak, she would be off in some town somewhere probably getting herself into trouble this time of night. She knew it was a good thing in the end, being out here with food and shelter rather than against the elements.

She shifted slightly in the bed, trying not to disturb the drowsing bundles of fur scattered all about the covers as impossible as that was. She decided to console herself back to sleep as best she could, shutting her eyes stubbornly and trying to force it. The minutes passed by with no luck, and when she was ready to give up anyways she heard a loud sound come from somewhere else in the house. Her eyes flew open and she sat up as some of the kittens startled awake. She blinked for a second, wondering if maybe the bandits had decided to return and stage a midnight attack of sorts. Her nerves grated on her until she slowly swung herself over the side of the bed, pausing to let the feeling of motion settle on the stiffer leg. Her head jerked up at the sound of another splintering crack echoing through the house. This time the kittens sprang up and bolted away, disappearing into the shadows. Lucia rubbed her sore eyes and stood before she took a few slow steps across the room, easing her leg into movement again. It felt like it would hold her so she left her little room and wandered out into the darkness.

She passed the tiny kitchen, noting that everything looked as if it was in its place, and decided there weren't any bandits about after all. She continued through the house, her slim figure draped in thin night clothes of cotton, snug shorts that didn't irritate her injury and a looser shirt that tended to slip over one shoulder unless she constantly pulled it back. She almost seemed to glow in her white surrounded by all the dark, as if perhaps she was a ghost rather than a girl. It was her vibrant hair that gave her the look of a human rather than an ethereal figure, beaming in what little moonlight managed to filter in through the kitchen windows from behind. She could hear movement down the hall, and hesitated when she noted that it must be Evan. Holding her hand up to the wall, she trailed down until she was outside his room. She took a breath before she went to knock on the door, only to find that it swung open half way at her touch.

Her eyes adjusted to the darkness in his room, a whole different kind of shadow from within as if the light had forgotten to trickle in. There was a book haphazardly flipped open on the floor, and beyond she could see the messy sheets of the bed. Off to the side she spotted his figure, slumped in the chair with his gaze directed out the window. She felt like an intruder immediately as she stood spellbound in the doorway, suddenly unsure of what she should do. Her hand rested on the doorframe as she leaned against it, and shakily she spoke, "Are you all right? I heard...I thought..." She drifted off. Part of her wanted to walk in and go over to him, maybe take his hand and really look at him to see what was wrong. Maybe she could be a comfort somehow, or something...she didn't know. The other part of her made her keep her distance, the memory of how he had pulled away the last time she went to touch him flashing in her mind. He didn't want her to touch him, she told herself; that had been a one time thing and it was passed. It had been a week ago, but she hadn't made any move to touch him ever since and she was trying to keep it that way.

Instead, she drifted to the fallen book and slowly bent over to pick it up, her shirt slipping with the motion and resting askew on her frame when she rose with the book in hand. She brushed off the cover and moved to set it down on a small table still on the other side of the room. She shivered, noting how different it felt in here compared to her own room. It was colder, and she felt like the atmosphere itself hung heavy overhead. Too many burdens and too much pain was held in here, and it was suffocating. She looked back over at Evan, still not feeling brave enough to move over to his side. "I thought there were bandits or something." She looked away and took a few steps back to the door, her mind telling her that she shouldn't be in there. Dubiously she paused, thinking of the only way she could figure to try and help. "Sorry, I disturbed you. Since I'm here do you need a glass of water or anything?" She waited in a motionless position with her body angled away, ready to head back to her room if...when he said no.

ooc: I went with her going to check on him, so we can make this part last a while if you want or it can cut to breakfast next post, whatever flows for you!

WHEN BLOOD GETS IN A WOMAN'S EYE
PM
^
Evan V. Donoghue
 Posted: 24 Jul 15, 02:48

"Hell at his back, home just over the horizon. His hands are weak, his body empty, but his horse knows the way."

farmer, former outlaw
male
26 posts

He leans forwards, his head carried by his hands. His body is still tense, and he can feel his muscles aching, throbbing at the tiniest movements. It was the same every morning, he could not prepare for it, it startles him each and every time. He tries to swallow, but feels the lump in his throat, and he closes his eyes as the emotions overwhelm him. He lets it consume him.

The creaking sound of the wood startles him, and he turns around to face the empty room behind him. He’s still alone. Why did that disappoint him so much? He sits straight in the chair and brushes through his hair. A sigh escapes him, and he feels the anger fuel his impatience. He grits his teeth, and presses his eyelids shut.

“Are you all right? I heard...I thought…” Her voice goes through bone and marrow, and he shoots up straight, eyes flinging wide open. He paces through the room, and quickly picks his shirt from the floor and buttons it. When he finally raises his gaze to meet her eyes he feels the storm inside his head calm down. “Did I wake you?” Guilt flickers in his eyes as he walks towards her, her frail figure standing there in the doorway. “I am so sorry,-” He walks back to the chair, and breathes in deeply. Lucia walks into the room and picks up the book from the ground. He shoots her a thankful glance as she brushes off the cover and puts it back on the table without asking too many questions. He sees her shiver then, and he looks around to look for something to keep her warm, but his room is as barren as the desert. His eyes linger on Lucia, watching how she keeps her distance from him. He feels a sudden guilt wash over him, as he never meant to scare her off. Perhaps it was for the best but he can’t deny the pull she has on him, and as he stands there, he only wants to step forward and not feel alone anymore. But being alone is all he knows.

“I thought there were bandits or something.” He scratches his chin and forces a smile. “It’s okay, just a bad dream.” He shrugs it off. His eyes watching as she walks back to the door, leaving him alone in the darkness. He wants to catch her then, to stop her from walking away, to beg her to stay, but he only swallows and let’s her slip away. “Sorry, I disturbed you. Since I'm here do you need a glass of water or anything?” He shakes his head, he doesn’t want water, he just wants to..- he just wants her to stay. He looks at her, painfully aware of the way her body is angled, ready to back to her room if he says no. He doesn’t want to say no, but he does anyway. “No, thanks.” He mutters in a low baritone, his face as dark as the sky outside, his eyes a swirling pit of dark gold.

He can’t let her go though. “Lucia..-” He says softly as she turns away form him. “I won’t be able to sleep anyway, do you want something to eat?” He walks towards her, and leans in the doorway next to her, at last coming closer than he had in the couple of previous days. “I can make some pancakes, but you can also eat them in the morning if you want to go back to bed.” He walks past her, glancing back as he enters the kitchen.

PMEmail
^
Lucia G. Dereith
 Posted: 24 Jul 15, 04:02

outlaw
female
evan
18 posts

Lucia watched silently as Evan strode across the room in a rush to grab his shirt, not saying anything about it. Normally, she would probably try to throw in some sort of sly compliment at the sight of him in the darkness like that, chest bare for the world to see. She wanted to lighten the mood and say she appreciated the view, but the truth was it would have felt sour on her lips. He was too distraught to tease in that moment, and even Lucia draws a line she won't cross from time to time. He caught her gaze looking up and she glanced away at the thunder in his eyes, not able to face them. She isn't herself standing there meekly, all her jibes and foolhardiness having washed away in the doorway once she crossed the threshold. “Did I wake you?” He came a few steps forward and she remained still for a second. “I am so sorry,-” And then he turned away and retreated back to the chair once more. Disappointed, she replies neutrally, "Don't be, I was already awake."

After she replaced the book, she acknowledged his look of gratitude without much of a reaction, only blinking and tilting her head away as she floated back to the door. “It’s okay, just a bad dream.” He smiled thinly in response to her explanation of why she had appeared there so unannounced. She turned her gaze back at him, eyes full of silent questions that she will never ask. She felt bad for him and wondered how long it had been going on. It wasn't so hard to understand why always looked so tired anymore, and she quietly says, "I hear those are bad for sleep." She pasted a wary smile on but it didn't last long. His eyes went dark again and she knew he was going to say no before he did. Her breath left her and made her shoulders sag slightly as she nodded and turned away at last.

She felt useless. She couldn't help herself get over her own demons, why should she expect to be able to help anyone else? It would be best for her to get out of Evan's hair as soon as she felt like she could make it back to town. She could catch a ride out further west where there were still opportunities for a talentless young woman whose only skills consisted of breaking locks and infiltration schemes. She had been here only a week and already cost Evan money and got them in a gunfight. She had to face it - there wasn't much about her being around that could be appealing. The sooner she disappeared, the sooner things would go back to normal. For everyone.

She started back to her room, but Evan's voice stopped her. "Lucia." She stilled, not quite turning back around, but her head shifting slightly to listened as he continued. “I won’t be able to sleep anyway, do you want something to eat?” Surprised, she blinked and heard the shifting of the chair, causing her to fully turning back then. He made his way toward her and she would have backed up to give him room if the door frame hadn't reminded her it was just behind her. As he leaned up beside her he added, “I can make some pancakes, but you can also eat them in the morning if you want to go back to bed.” A smile blossomed on her lips at the notion as she felt the warmth of him waft over her momentarily before he casually moved past her to head to the kitchen.

At his glance back, she shrugged and replied, "It's been a while since I had a real breakfast...in the middle of the night anyways." She was joking, but honestly the last time she had had pancakes might have been years ago. She doesn't really remember. She follows after him, still careful not to crowd him. She spied the table, but can't bring herself to go sit there alone and wait around helplessly. She watched for a moment as he moved around the place before she moved over to the counter and leaned down on her elbows. "It may come as a shock, but I don't know how to cook much." Her lips curled into another smile as she observed which ingredients he reached for, surprised at how simple the recipe turned out to be. At one point her curiosity got to her and sidled over, closer than she had been around him of her own volition since the other day. She dipped her finger into the batter and tasted it, nodding her approval. "A man of many talents, of course." She chuckled before she remembered herself and then flitted away again, deciding to wait for him to finish the batter from a safe watching place.

PM
^
Evan V. Donoghue
 Posted: 03 Aug 15, 02:08

farmer, former outlaw
male
26 posts

Most people choose to stay silent about his nightly terrors, even the helpers who sleep in the bunkers choose to ignore the lights coming from the main house every night. Perhaps he was such a grump that they didn’t dare to ask him about it. Lucia chooses to stay ignorant as well, and he’s thankful for that, for now. Perhaps one day he will tell her everything.

As he leans there in the doorway, his gaze captured by her eyes, and the question out there in the open, he feels better, more composed than how she had found him. He never liked bothering other people with his problems, and certainly not Lucia, whom he felt like keeping up appearances with. He doesn’t want her to start thinking that her old mentor had gone insane. He grins faintly, aware of his line of thoughts. Why did he care what she thinks about him at all? That kiss might have just set something in motion that he cannot stop.

Eventually he moves past her, the burning desire to lean in and steal another kiss grows to big, and he has to move away. “It's been a while since I had a real breakfast...in the middle of the night anyways.” He chuckles, his spirits finally lifting after the terror of the night. He hears the patter of her feet, and glances behind to see her follow him. That puts a smile to his face, and he quickly turns around to try and hide it.

He starts to gather everything he needs, which isn’t much really, and most of it comes from his own land or cattle. “It may come as a shock, but I don't know how to cook much.” With a big grin he looks at her; leaning on the counter with a smile curled around her lips. “Well Ther-” he catches himself there, and turns away while inhaling sharply. “-Theresa was a terrible cook, so I took it as my responsibility before she poisoned us all.” He smiles faintly, and seeks her eyes again. “I can teach you a couple of basics, like skinning an animal and gathering ingredients.” He stops what he’s doing as he feels her sidle over to dip her finger into the batter. He smiles when she nods approvingly. She’s like a butterfly dancing around him, and touching him every so often, playing games with his patience and unaware of the turmoil growing within him. “A man of many talents, of course.” He chuckles, still not very comfortable with accepting compliments. Before he knows it she’s danced away again, and he almost reaches out to stop her in mid motion, but his stubborn mind lets her slip away. Her warmth leaves him, and he silently finishes the batter.

The baking of the pancakes doesn’t take long, and he gives her the first one to taste it. After he’s baked a couple more he makes himself a plate and sits next to her. “I was thinking, if you feel good enough, you can come with me and some others to catch some horses. We’ve seen a couple roaming around in the north, maybe there’s even one you’d like?” He grins and takes a first bite of his pancake.

OOC: After the pancakes she can go back to bed, and he'll take a ride, and then you or I can start with the morning =D

PMEmail
^
Lucia G. Dereith
 Posted: 03 Aug 15, 10:57

outlaw
female
evan
18 posts

Evan's laughter and chuckling after the grimness and thin lines on his face from before comforted Lucia, put her right back in her own shoes and reminded her that it was okay to toss jokes around with him. After the week of trying to keep her distance from him, she had missed being able to let her tongue slip and let loose a few nonsensical words every now and then. The way he lit up when she mentioned cooking reflected in her own eyes and shined back at him, making it obvious that she took delight in his own happiness as much as hers. He leaned on the counter, bringing his face closer to hers with that smile and she smirked playfully at him, letting her hair slip forward over one of the bare shoulders her shirt had let loose.

"Well Ther-” He looked away when his voice faltered and Lucia's smile faded momentarily, fearing the good mood had been lost so soon. “-Theresa was a terrible cook, so I took it as my responsibility before she poisoned us all.” But only a moment later Evan seemed to recover and look back, putting on a smile once more. Lucia let out her breath quietly, relieved for him. Wanting to keep it light, she reached out her hand and put it beside his, brushing it slightly but not yet confident enough to try to hold it. "I'm sure no one was displeased with that. I'll bet anything your hands touch turns to gold." She let out a small titter of a laugh at the thought before he went on. “I can teach you a couple of basics, like skinning an animal and gathering ingredients.” Her eyes twinkled at his enthusiasm, at the joy the thought of letting him teach her something, anything, again would be. It would be just like old times, she mused. "I would enjoy that, Evan." Her eyes flicked away shyly all of a sudden. "It's been too long since you taught me anything. And I could use a different set of skills." Gently, she removed her hand and brought it back to herself, rising up and pulling out of the space between them.

She is lost in a whirlwind of confusion at her words, which had escaped her lips before she'd even realized she had thought them. It had almost sounded like she was tired of her wily ways, ready to learn to do something in the world other than snatching loose coin wherever she could find it and taking rings and gems from people's coffers. She shook her head to clear it when the plate of pancakes arrived, the aroma wafting up and tickling her nose warmly. It was oddly peaceful, sitting beside Evan and eating pancakes in the middle of the night, or was it morning now, as if it was a common occurrence. Lucia had the strangest feeling that she could easily get used to this. Plus his cooking was fantastic even for such a simple recipe as pancakes. “I was thinking, if you feel good enough, you can come with me and some others to catch some horses. We’ve seen a couple roaming around in the north, maybe there’s even one you’d like?” He said eventually, after the pancakes had been most thoroughly enjoyed by both of them.

The idea made her heart skip a beat and her eyes probably showed it plainly; she hadn't ever truly had a horse to call her own, not even back in the gang. She had ridden and loved several of the horses there, but it had always been a silent fact that they still belonged to the gang. Once she left, it wasn't like she could just take one of them with her. So she hadn't, and the other week being on Bandit had reminded her just how much she missed the animals. "You know how to say all the right things, don't you Cowboy?" She nodded her approval and added, "Of course. I couldn't ever say no to that." Another moment later and she decided to take her plate to the sink, a yawn managing to escape her lips after she'd rinsed it and laid it on the counter to dry. She blinked slowly and turned back to where Evan was, a soft smile still in place on her lips. "Perhaps, I'll try to catch a bit more shut eye first, if you don't mind? I want to be wide awake for this adventure." She winked and started back for her room, though she slowed as she passed his figure as it was in her path. Her eyes darted up to find his and her smile flickers more sweetly than before, less playful and more sincere. "Thank you for breakfast Evan." And then she flittered past and disappeared back into the shadows that marked the way to her cozy little bedroom.

PM
^
Evan V. Donoghue
 Posted: 03 Aug 15, 14:01

farmer, former outlaw
male
26 posts

Truthfully he doesn’t like being such a grump, he would much rather be as bubbly and uplifting as Lucia, but it just doesn’t come natural to him. So he’s delighted to see her smile at him for chuckling at her jokes. Her smile puts him at ease, and he regains something he thought he had lost so many years ago. He shivers lightly when her hand softly touches his skin, his eyes flit down and very naturally he moves to cover her hand gently with his. “I’m sure no one was displeased with that. I'll bet anything your hands touch turns to gold.” He wanted to say something in return, like “I already have gold in my hands” or “I wouldn’t want to diminish your beauty to a dull gold” but as usual he’s a solemn looking grump and decides to just smile and look at her.

Perhaps he’s still asleep, and the true nightmare will be him waking up to her being gone. Every second makes him more aware of the influence she has on him and he just doesn’t want to wake up. He wants to stay in this little bubble of laughter and subtle touches, he never wants to stop feeling this.. happiness- he chuckles and shakes his head at that thought.
When he looks up to her, her eyes twinkle in that cute way, and he can’t resist to grin slightly, allowing his lips to curl upwards. “I would enjoy that, Evan. It's been too long since you taught me anything. And I could use a different set of skills.” He touches the scar on his cheek and nose- “It will perhaps spare you some scars to know how to deal with wild animals.” He grins, although only the small scar on his nose actually came from a cougar. The others will remain a story for some other time.

She moves away from him, leaving him in the cold absence of her warmth.

He moves to sit beside her, and eats his pancakes while making small talk. Eventually he invites her to come along and catch some wild horses, and her eyes widen in excitement. The sight alone makes him smile widely, his eyes shimmering softly. “You know how to say all the right things, don't you Cowboy? Of course. I couldn't ever say no to that.” He grins and shakes his head, truly; he didn’t know a thing about saying the right words. “I’m glad you will be joining us, I can use a female touch with all those ego-boosted farmworkers.” He grins and stands to clean his plate as well. “Perhaps, I'll try to catch a bit more shut eye first, if you don't mind? I want to be wide awake for this adventure.” He nods and dries his wet hands from doing the dishes. “Sure, you go on now.” She starts to move towards the hallway, but slows down before him, he was standing in her way after all. Her eyes flit upwards and the smile she show makes him smile genuinely in return. “Thank you for breakfast Evan.” And then she slinks past him and disappears into the darkness.

He stays behind and cleans up the mess in the kitchen, eventually he makes himself some coffee (??????? CAN HE DO THAT????) and readies himself to head out. He gathers his weapons and hat from his chambers, and mounts Gambler. He rides for as long as the sun doesn’t show, and arrives back at the ranch early at dawn. Gambler is still pretty out of shape from the hunt yesterday, so he decides to let the stallion roam in the paddock instead. He goes to retrieve Widowmaker and Bandit and puts on their tack, roping them before the house in anticipation of Lucia. He knows she’s awake because he saw her figure move behind the window of her chamber, so he sits down on the porch and lights up a cigarette.

Slowly men start to pull horses out of the stables, and gather tack from the harness room. He puts his cigarette out in a bowl right at the moment that the front doors open. He’s caught staring at Lucia mid-breath, and coughs awkwardly. “Morning..-” He gets up from his chair and straps his weapons to his body, at last securing a rope to his hip. He throws Lucia a lasso as well, and grins at her. “Ready to find your mount?”

PMEmail
^
Lucia G. Dereith
 Posted: 17 Aug 15, 01:11

outlaw
female
evan
18 posts

It was a short sleep, but long enough to leave her feeling fully rested at last when Lucia eventually opened her eyes again. She blinked and remembered the day's plans within a moment, causing her to rise energetically and traipse from the bed to find better clothes to change into. With the blinds securely pulled together, Lucia pulled the slip over her head and moved slowly, gathering the loose linens that would protect her from the sun while still letting her skin breathe.

She had to admit the room's previous occupant had good tastes in her wardrobe choices; the final results left Lucia looking casual and comfortable in a loose shirt with quarter-length sleeves along with snug pants that framed her slender legs rather elegantly. Noting the tails of the shirt fluttering freely, she carefully tied a small knot at the end of the blouse, baring a small bit of a her waist so that her tanned skin peaked out teasingly. Finally, she pulled her hair up into a bun, ignoring the few strands that were determined to escape and fall around her face. Satisfied she was ready, she turned and headed for the door.

Evan was already back, waiting on the porch, she discovered. The smoke cloud drifted up and marked the finished cigarette he had just put out, drawing her eyes to his lips for a brief second before she put on her usual smirk and flicked her eyes up to meet his. "Morning-" He managed despite the smoke, and she glanced away with her grin curling in amusement. "Hope I didn't keep you waiting too long." She responded, stepping down off the porch and turning half back to face him, her hand automatically going to her hip as her head tilted.

She was the picture of sarcastic charm in that instant, her expression and posture only emphasized by the slimming jeans and light colored shirt, slightly billowing about her figure in the breeze. "Wanted to look good for this." She winked jokingly and waited as he stood and gathered his weapons and things. When he was done he casually tossed a bundle of rope through the air between them - instinctively her free hand reached out and took the lasso from the sky in a fluid motion, bringing it back down gently. She looked at it appreciatively for a moment before she secured it to her belt loops.

"Ready to find your mount?" Evan asked, and she arched a brow at him in response. "On the contrary, I only wonder if he's ready for me to find him." It was a subtle joke, for she really didn't care if whatever horse they found for her was a stallion or a mare. She had issues with keeping her mouth shut sometimes, and though she tried to hide it with her grin, she turned to walk toward the stables promptly in order to hide her slight embarrassment over her choice of words just then. She may have overstepped, she feared.

She moved confidently, getting back into her normal mood and pushing the feeling of wanting to blush aside as she neared the corrals and stalls. She saw Bandit dozing lazily and paused, looking over her shoulder. "I assume I'll be taking Bandit again?" She wondered how the horse had held up over the week while she'd been stuck in bed. He had had an exciting day, she mused, and wondered if might still be a little worn out. She reached out and patted his neck.

PM
^
Evan V. Donoghue
 Posted: 01 Oct 15, 13:42

farmer, former outlaw
male
26 posts

He doesn’t know where to look when she comes out strutting in a tight fitted pair of jeans and a loose cotton blouse. It suits her, that's for sure.
The couple of red strands that spring free from her bun capture his gaze and he has to smile, he just can't hold it back. He would've lived forever in those couple of seconds, with her beautiful eyes fixated on his.

But he can’t.

He breaks away from the eye contact and straps on some of his weapons. “Hope I didn't keep you waiting too long.” He shakes his head slowly, his eyes still fixated on his holsters and weapons. “Of course not,-” He peeks from under his hat, and shows her a little grin. “Truth be told I had enough to do, and made good use of the spare time.” His eyes flit away from her, and his lips are pulled back into a straight line. After a while he’s finally done putting everything in place, and licks the corner of his mouth while thinking, “I’m gonna give you my shotgun, when we’ve practiced longshots you’ll get a riffle.” He tosses her the rope first, and looks up from his hands to her standing there. Automatically he eyes her up and down, the picture of sarcastic charm with her hand leaning on her hip and her head slightly tilted. Immediately he starts feeling muggy, his chest the center of a brooding fire. Slowly he scratches his grizzled chin in hopes of relieving these feelings, and diverting his dangerous thoughts.

She probably catches him looking like that and tosses him a remark; “Wanted to look good for this.” She winks at him, and he grins while shaking his head. “Well mission succeeded, miss”. He nervously touches the scar on his cheek, and grabs the shotgun from the chair. “Here,-” He hands her the weapon, together with some more ammo. “-just in case.” He grins thinking back at their run in with the bandits not so long ago. “You can also keep the pistol for now, since you’re familiair with it and all.” He smiles weakly, then continues to strap the lasso at last to his belt loop.

“Ready to find your mount?” “On the contrary, I only wonder if he's ready for me to find him.” At first he frowns slightly, but ends up showing a half-assed smile, chuckling softly. “You sure have a way with words,-” he grins softly. She grins back at him, but there’s something different this time, insecurity seems to seep in through the cracks and she promptly turns away and starts walking towards the stables. He takes a couple of longs strides to keep up with her, wanting to grab her arm and ask her what’s wrong, but he can’t, instead he simply follows her to the horses.

After perhaps a couple of awkward seconds she looks back at him, asking about Bandit. He nods, showing a little smile, Bandit was the first horse he bought when he started the farm. He pats the gelding softly, “Yeah, he seems to like you very much, and I like to see him happy.” Softly he tugs on Bandit’s mane, and gets an annoyed but cheeky reply. “I’ll be riding Widowmaker,-” he points towards the stallion next to Bandit, “He’s our little ray of sunshine.” and as if the stallion knows it’s been talked about he flits his ears back into it’s neck. “See,” he chuckles and pulls the reigns free from the wooden panel.

He swiftly mounts Widowmaker, and whistles for the ranch workers to mount up as well. It only takes a minute until a group has been formed beneath the ranch entrance. “Alright, let’s go then.” He nudges Widow to get moving, and the stallion quickly dashes away.
As soon as Lucia and he are lined up again he glances next to him. “The herd has been spotted near the canyons, it’s a half an hour ride from here. We’re going to try and drive them into a corner and lasso most of them, I’ve told them the stallion is yours if you like him. Otherwise you can have any of the others.” His eyes slowly trail away across her bare arms, to the curve of her neck, and he has to inhale deeply to calm the heat in his ribcage. He feels sweat tickle down his back beneath the heat of the sun, and softly licks the corner of his mouth again. A nervous tick he has been building.

“Oh-” He moves in his saddle to look her in the eye. “The farmworkers are holding a small celebration tonight, it’s just music and campfire, but it’s mostly good fun. If you feel like it..” He smiles, needless to say he barely ever attended such celebrations, but perhaps if she felt like going he might just slip by..

PMEmail
^
Lucia G. Dereith
 Posted: 10 May 16, 01:23

outlaw
female
evan
18 posts

Lucia patted Bandit idly before doing her best to mount up, not showing anyone the way her lips grimace or how much extra effort it takes to swing her lame leg up. She hates feeling crippled like this, as if every future movement had to be planned accordingly for just in case it would be too much. The horse is calm and steady, not trying to shy away or start moving before she's settled though, and she is grateful for him especially then. She maneuvers herself so that the shotgun is angled over the saddle horn comfortably and her newly gifted pistol hangs on her hip. At least she knew her hands were still quick enough to retrieve the thing just incase - she didn't need legs to operate any kind of gun while on horseback. She gazes over at Evan perched atop Widowmaker, a beautiful specimen of a horse with all the spunk and feistiness of a temperamental bloodline to match his owner, she mused silently. 'Alright, let's go then.' Evan announces when everyone is ready, and the crew takes off.

Bandit isn't as fast as Widow, but he can keep pace pretty well, allowing Lucia to always be only a few strides behind Evan. The bounciness takes a few moments for her to readjust to, but the horses ease into a steady pace after the initial excitement of being asked to run again. Widow and Bandit slowly lined up so that their riders could sit almost side by side, the flat landscape with gorges off in the distance crawling by in the background. 'The herd has been spotted near the canyons, it’s a half an hour ride from here. We’re going to try and drive them into a corner and lasso most of them, I’ve told them the stallion is yours if you like him. Otherwise you can have any of the others.' Evan states, letting her know the basics of the plan he'd come up with. She nods, a smile flashing upon her lips to reveal her excitement. "I'll take a good look at the stallion, see if he's a match for me." She joked, knowing that if Evan had already asked for him to be left for her that he was probably the best horse in the herd anyways. He was a good partner like that, after all. She looked over to share her smile with him and caught his gaze wandering a bit before he licked his lip and averted his eyes.

Her pulse quickened for a moment, her mind racing with curiosity at his thoughts. She could only guess what he was thinking about, but perhaps it wasn't just about the horses they were going after. He looks at her again a few strides later and says in a softer tone, 'The farmworkers are holding a small celebration tonight, it’s just music and campfire, but it’s mostly good fun. If you feel like it...' His smile was almost boyish; she couldn't help but chuckle at him. "I love crashing parties, it's one of my old hobbies." She responds glibly, the humor in her voice cheerful. "Music and celebration will be just the thing after today's work." She confirmed. It would do wonders for her to get out of the little room that had become hers over the past weeks. She held his gaze for an extra moment, her smile lingering before she refocused ahead, listening to the soft thudding of Bandit's hooves against the softened desert dirt.

The terrain gave way to rockier ground, the canyons growing up around them as they neared the entrance to the passageways and corridors that led through them. Lucia slowed Bandit and scanned to the horizon for the herd, knowing Evan had said they were spotted near here earlier in the day. The herd came into view before long and she pulled Bandit up, looking over to Evan for further instruction. The rest of the crew circled around and slowed. She adjusted her hair, pulling the strands that had broken free during the run back behind her ears once more, taking a breath to still her nerves. She'd never helped with a roundup before, she only hoped she didn't screw it up for everyone. "Well, partner," she ventured, putting on a half smirk and directing her eyes once again to Evan. "Looks like we made it here in one piece without any interruptions this time."" She teased, remembering the bandits who had crashed their last attempt to ride. "What now?" She crossed her arms and leaned over the saddle horn expectantly.

PM
^
Evan V. Donoghue
 Posted: 20 Aug 16, 07:08

farmer, former outlaw
male
26 posts

The sun is atop of the sky, shining crisp and strong, the landscape spreading beneath them. The grassy plains look dry, the bushes and grass a rich golden color. Not a patch of green in sight and water is nowhere to be seen either.

The cracked ground thunders beneath them, hooves galloping across the plains.

Horsebackriding is his favorite past time, you can just take off and go anywhere. It clears his mind, takes off the egde. It makes him feel free, without limitations, nothing to keep him back. Widowmaker moves fluidly beneath him, strong legs carrying them far in a quick pace. Even though it's an amazing horse, captured at another roundup, he still feels better atop of Gambler. He would trust his life to that steed. Widowmaker would throw him off given the chance, there's too much fire in that stallion. It will be his undoing one day.

Evan's eyes gaze the canyons in the near distance, more green sprawling into vision. A thin stream of water slinks through the grass and rocks, giving way to the massive opening of the canyons. He sighs at the impressive sight, always taken back with its beauty.

They continue to ride as the landscape unfolds and becomes crisper. As his man ride forward he takes his moment to ask Lucia about the celebration, and gladly she replies enthusiastic. How could she not, he remembers how she liked good music and a dance back in the day. He was always the one to sit back into the shadows and look from a distance, but she was always in the middle of it all. All eyes drawn to her and her dancing red hair. One night she had persuaded him into one dance, one dance only, just for the hell of it. It had felt so wrong, so wrong. He had walked off before the song was over, his mind stormy and chaotic, his chest a murky mess of unwanted feelings. It didnt help much that Theresa was around too.

Those feelings resurfaced the moment she arrived bend and broken on his veranda.

He glances sideways, her fiery red hair shining bright beneath the midday sun. It's an odd feeling to have her here, to revisit all these old memories, somehow it's less painful than he imagined.

They arrive at the canyons, their horses slowly coming to a halt. In the far distance you can see the herd move, the leading stallion bright and brilliant beneath the sun. He glances over at Lucia and points in the direction of the herd, a rare smile on his lips. He hears her speak and the corners of his mouth curls further upwards. "I'm pretty sure we got rid of them the other day" he chuckles, his eyes bright and warm like molten gold. "And if not I'll make sure they won't bother you anymore." His face suddenly grim and serious. He'd blow the heads of a thousand man to keep his loved ones safe.

He gestures to John in the distance to start the roundup, John takes a handful of man and races to the far end of the plains where they divide into a long line to push the herd towards Evan and the others.

"Now-" he starts, a grin fancying his lips."-we're going to fetch you a stallion." He unclasps his lassoo and hangs it loosely around his arm. "John is going around and drives the herd to us, all we have to do is lassoo up the ones we want to capture. We dont go for foals, only if we can capture the mothers as well. Take your time to pick one you like, you can signal me any time and I'll help you catch it." Evan nudges Widow and starts pacing up and down. "Aint it exciting? In half an hour you have your own horse." He grins wide, eyes big and bright.

The herd moves in the distance, pure panic driving them forwards. Widow lunges forwards, high in pace striding towards a nice pinto. "Here we go!" He screams, adrenaline racing through his veins.

PMEmail
^
Lucia G. Dereith
 Posted: 05 Oct 16, 14:59

outlaw
female
evan
18 posts

Lucia shifted in the saddle as the summer heat beat down upon her, thankful she'd donned a cowboy hat before leaving the farm that morning. It was already getting hot so fast, and it was not even noon yet. She smiles when Evan jokes back with her, letting the smile thin a bit when he gets serious about the situation. She knows he is a vindictive, protective person, and she's grateful. But she hopes he doesn't get caught up lingering about the bandits...that was her problem. She would have to figure out how to deal with that eventually, she mused quietly, wanting to put off the inevitable that eventually she would have to leave if for no other reason, than to keep Evan and his little life he'd created safe. The moment passed though, and she refocused at the sound of hooves moving away, looking up as some of Evan's men headed off to circle around behind the herd off in the distance.

'Now, we're going to fetch you a stallion.' Evan smiled through his teeth, and she grinned back, enjoying his enthusiasm. 'John is going around and drives the herd to us, all we have to do is lassoo up the ones we want to capture. We dont go for foals, only if we can capture the mothers as well. Take your time to pick one you like, you can signal me any time and I'll help you catch it.' He explained, and she watched as the plan unfolded right in front of her as the men crept up behind the herd. The wild horses' heads rose as they realized they were being approached, and she watched the lead stallion after Evan pointed him out. He was a feisty one, that was obvious as he threw his head up and whinnied at the trespassers on his territory. He was quick to round up his mares and get them moving away. 'Aint it exciting? In half an hour you have your own horse.' Evan added, and she could hear how happy he sounded. She nodded, watching with sparkling eyes. "It's going to be something, that's for sure." She replied, all focus and determination now.

She watched as the herd finally broke, realizing the impending danger, and started to make a bolt for it, racing away from the open fields and toward the canyon just beyond where and Evan had stayed perched. She pulled the reins tighter in her hand, Bandit's head lurching up as he noticed her tensing and watched the wild horses stampeding forth. He recognized this game, she assumed, and briefly wondered if it reminded him of when he was caught himself. Was Bandit ever a wild horse too, she asked herself, not knowing if Evan had caught all his horses initially. Evan let out his signal, excited, and suddenly Widowmaker lunged forward, alive and ready for the chase, ears pricked and alert. Bandit threw his head up and Lucia held on as he bounded after him. Her eyes panned the scene, looking at each horse as they neared, thundering closer. The lead stallion was way in back, pushing them forward, so she pulled Bandit up beside the racing horses and they started galloping parallel to them.

She saw beautiful horses, mares and foals and young colts who would grow into pretty stallions someday; but she definitely came to the conclusion quickly that Evan was right - the lead stallion was the main prize out of this particular herd. She pulled Bandit's head back so that he slowed, letting the horses push past him. Evan was close by, and she knew she would probably need his help. The herd slowly past her by until the end came near, and then she turned and cut Bandit around behind them, her eyes trained on the stallion that was racing a few paces behind, ears flat and angry as the intruders for disturbing their grazing. She reached for the rope she'd been given as Bandit closed in on the lead stallion, and did her best to twirl it over her head. When they circled around behind the stallion, she threw the loop as far as she could and for a split moment it looked like she had pulled it off. But the stallion was clever and quickly half turned and reared away so that the loop flew past his head, missing. She cursed as the stallion bolted out of reach and she began to pull the rope back in as Bandit trailed after him. "Damn." She muttered aloud.

PM
^
Evan V. Donoghue
 Posted: 20 Apr 17, 03:12

farmer, former outlaw
male
26 posts

He looks over to Lucia, his golden eyes softly shimmering beneath the rim of his hat. The beautiful redhead has her eyes fixated on the herd in the distance and he takes a moment to appreciate everything that happened since she arrived. Despite it being just two weeks ago, soon after she already made him smile like he hadn’t in years, which are precious and rare moments in his gloom life.

Especially rare after everything that went down a couple of years ago, he learned to cherish the good days and never linger on the bad ones. Otherwise, he would've given up on life years ago.

This is a good day, he can feel it, the sun on his skin and the gentle breeze sweeping over the plains. There's something deep inside him that tells him that today will be fine, today will be a memory he gets to cherish when the darkness returns. Because it will return, it always does, he has grown accustomed to it and would probably even miss it if it didn't. Hypocrite, isn't it? Moan and bitch when life is hard and misses it when everything is rosy. He's probably too attached to his own pain, his sorrows and worries, given the chance he might not even let them go.

However, somehow she makes him forget them, even if it is for a short moment. It's enough, it can be enough.

Bandit moves away and Evan snaps out of his line of thought, a notion of being caught staring flickers in his eyes. Quickly he diverts his gaze and clicks his tongue to make Widowmaker lunge forward. The horse immediately springs free, the need to run has always been high with Widowmaker. Within seconds they've reached the gorgeous pinto mare and Evan reaches for his lasso, swinging it a couple of times before he throws it around the mare's neck. Her eyes flare in angst as she tries to get away but Evan holds the rope tightly in his hands. One down, couple more to go.

Widowmaker slows down and Evan hands over the pinto mare to one of the other ranchers, she would be a fine addition to their breeding program. He pats his horse and clicks his tongue to get up to speed again. The stallion doesn't think twice and jumps forwards to accelerate immediately. Evan looks around, his golden eyes pulled to the redhead on the other side of the herd. She throws her lasso but the stallion quickly ducks and jumps away from the rope, it's a smart one. Those are the best companions but the worst to break and capture. "Need any help, Lucia?" His Italian accent suddenly evident when he pronounces her name (loot-zia). It barely ever simmers through his American voice, but his mother had an Italian relative with the same name and he never quite got rid of his Italian roots when pronouncing it.

He circles behind the herd and corners the stallion from the other side, the only way out being through Lucia and Bandit. "What a beautiful specimen." He mutters as he watches the muscles work beneath the stallion's coat.
PMEmail
^
Lucia G. Dereith
 Posted: 04 Jul 17, 14:05

outlaw
female
evan
18 posts

She heard Evan's offer of help a few minutes later, not turning her head as the stubbornness set in. She probably did need his help, but something crossed her mind that made her decide she wanted to do this alone. Prove she wasn't helpless and injured like when she arrived. That she could handle herself and was getting better. She gathered the rope back in her hands and Bandit instinctively turned and chased after their target, knowing the game better than even she did. She hadn't ever done this before, to be fair, but as she felt the rope slip and slide against her gloved hands, she felt familiarity click into place. Lassoing was not so different from the whip she sometimes used in her heists. It could crack and bend in the air the same way, become an extension of her arms and will. She grinned as everything became second nature in her head and finally looked over at where Evan and Widow were cantering along the herd. 'No thanks big boy, I'm just warming up.'

Feeling her newfound determination in his bones, Bandit perked up with a renewed vigor and chased down the lead stallion in earnest. She gritted her teeth and leaned over in the saddle, gripping with her legs to stay balanced as she held her arms out to aim the lasso. Closer, closer. She could feel the hard-packed dirt flying up from under the other stallion's hooves and hitting her chaps, Bandit's mane whipping hard in her face. She leaned out even further, getting as clear of a view as she could. Bandit accounted for her weight and angled her in as best as he could, the perfect partner in this chase. One more moment...and then she let the lasso fly through the air. This time she caught her breath as it soared, past the stallion's ears, and then in a simple flick of the wrist it pulled back and slipped over his nose, too quickly for the horse to duck and jerk away like before.

Lucia pulled back immediately as the lasso locked into place around the blue roan's neck, his responding whinny a roar of anger in the canyons. The whole herd seemed to pause in mid air at the sound, realizing at once that their leader's battle was lost. In the next few moments, as Lucia struggled to pull the stallion at bay, several of the other hands making selections were able to grab their top picks from the herd thanks to the distraction she had caused. She almost felt bad for the rest of the herd that managed to get away, but the feeling faded as she pulled Bandit and the fighting stallion to a relative stand still. The blue roan was rearing and tossing his head every direction, desperate to be free again. But he was tired, and his retorts became less and less agitated every moment. Lucia smiled. 'You're full of fire, aren't you?' But that cold eye...' The stallion glared as if on cue. 'Just like tequila.' She mused.

She kept eyeing the stallion, considering him and watching as the rest of the herd got picked off and dispersed in the distance. She waited for Evan to make his way over to her, and when he finally did, she broke her staring contest with the blue. She grinned, excited. 'Not bad, right?' She hoped he had managed to get some good stock out of the raid for himself as well, though she knew he'd let her have the best one. She was grateful. 'I think he already has a name too - Tequila.'

PM
^
Evan V. Donoghue
 Posted: 04 Jul 17, 14:58

farmer, former outlaw
male
26 posts

A big grin spreads across his face as he hears her witty reply. Big boy. He chuckles to himself and turns widowmaker around to try and grab another horse that separated itself from the herd. He should've known that she could fend for herself, no need to baby her every step along the way. He tugs on the reins and clicks with his tongue, Widow flings around and spurts away towards a grey mare fleeing the scene. The lasso is secured in his one hand while the other does it's best to direct his horse closer to the target without missing a step. Evan learned to never, ever, let go of the reins when he's riding Widowmaker. Not so long ago he was bucked off and split his head open like a cantaloupe, it took him quite some time to even trust the horse again. Eventually, he managed to because somehow the entire event had mellowed Widow just the tiniest bit. Widowmaker hadn't lost any of his spunk though, the stallion was one if not, the quickest horse Evan had ever ridden and it came in handy on days like these.

He shifts slightly in his saddle and throws his lasso around the grey mare, the thick rope ties around her neck and pulls her back towards him. He looks over his shoulder and sees Lucia glowing in her saddle, her eyes fiercely staring into those of the blue roan stallion and he chuckles again. He nudges the grey mare and hands the rope to Mike who ties her up with the others.
He presses his heels against Widow's belly and lunges forwards in Lucia's direction. The sun shines down on the beautiful stallion and lights up in a silverish colour. A smile creeps on his lips as he thinks about Lucia riding the stallion and continuing her life of adventure, with the tiniest bit of help from him.

Lucia's eyes find Evan and he hears her talk about the horse, with a name very befitting for an animal with so much fire. "He's perfect." Evan grins, his hands relaxed on his thighs with Widow coming to a slow halt. "And I love the name." He leans forwards and pats the side of Widow's neck. "I'll clear the paddock for you tomorrow to start working on him. I'm sure you'll be a great pair." He raises his head and looks at her from beneath the rim of his hat. "For now you can give him off to Mike and they'll guide the herd back to the ranch in one formation. I'm going to take a quicker route back, you're welcome to join me." He sits back up straight and immediately Widows' ears perch up and the horse starts moving around in anticipation. "Better even, I'll race you there." He clicks his tongue and his horse leaps upwards into a rear. His eyes are bright and playful, his lips fashioned with a genuine smile.

He waits as Lucia hands over Tequila and lines up with her on the plains. "You can decide the prize for the winner" he grins. He tugs his reins tighter and sits up straight. "Ready?" he leans forwards just slightly "-GO!" and Widow leaps forwards and races away. The wind soars past his ears and he wants to stand up and scream from the top of his lungs, the feeling of freedom makes his heart soar and for the time being he forgets about his sorrows.
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules   

CBOX
Skin designed by alimarije for cop, coded by nicky. CFS by black